Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To soy or not to soy... part II

Flavonoids are thought to affect their anticancer properties by a variety of mechanisms. One route is by inhibiting cytochrome P450 (CYPs) from activating procarcinogens. Another route is by inducing phase II enzymes, facilitating carcinogen elimination from the body. Some flavonoids can even affect promotion and progression of carcinogenesis by interfering directly with cell cycle, angiogenesis, invasion and apoptosis. Of course, these properties have been investigated in vitro and the bioavailability and speciation of flavonoids (and their glycosylated relatives) needs further study.

As for me, I guess I will continue to eat soy in moderation. I am not convinced it is harmful. Nor do I believe that genes from genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) will spring into my DNA. FYI, 93% of the soy raised in the US has been genetically modified to confer herbicide tolerance, compared to 77% globally. That's all the science I have to share with you today.

It's two weeks until my next race and I am feeling fatter and lazier than ever. Looking for that motivation... where's it gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment