Thursday, May 26, 2011

Debt crisis?

Thinking about education costs, so I made this graph comparing annual cost to attend each of these schools.  A quick comparison of schools I have attended (UCR, ASU, UNK, MetroCC) and schools I have or will be teaching at (Scripps, Claremont McKenna, Pitzer, UCR, CSUN, ASU, UNK, EMCC) and a few others purely for comparison sake (Sarah Lawrence, Creighton, UCLA, UCSD, RCC) reveals a trend of doubling as the institution becomes more elite.  Of course California is more expensive than Arizona, and both CA and AZ are more expensive than Nebraska.

With state contributions to schools dwindling, I wonder how much longer states can provide higher education to their residents.  I also wonder how realistic it is for 18-22 yr olds to shoulder such a debt burden after 4-6 years of this.  UCR graduates incur an average debt of $17k for their entire education, the total burden eased by a combination of work study, loans, and parental contributions.  Whew!  I feel like I need to step up my game 2-fold...

No comments:

Post a Comment