Saturday, October 4, 2014

Body Positive

There's something about a beat that can shake off the blues.  Although I don't like lyrics that are degrading.  Instead of "in the backseat of your car" how about "groove is in the heart" and let it shine.  I like body-positive songs and I don't think there's anything wrong with Meghan Trainor's new song and video "All about that bass."  I don't like how Young MC calls someone "Fatso" but I do like the call to dance "just bust a move."







One of the most fun dance videos "Fire Burning" [on the dance floor] used to be the ultimate (last) song on my 8 hour playlist.  I would listen to it on my .mp3 player while working late in the lab and know that after 8 hours of pipeting, it was time to go home (or at least take a break for dinner).  Lab accidents happen when you're tired.



I love Beyonce and will never forget the anthem "Bootylicious" which celebrates the power of curves.  Another SUPER-FAVORITE is Mika's "Big Girl (You are beautiful)" which has a great message and a fun video concept.  The colorful dancers of all sizes remind me of "Sweatin' to the Oldies" with Richard Simmons, a staple of my teenage body issue years.





I always idolized Hollywood and Los Angeles, and now that I live here I have a different concept of what it means to pursue fame.  I like Niki Minaj and Iggy Azalea but sometimes their music (lyrics) degrade women rather than empowering.





I commend JLo for her acknowledgement of the body she has been given.  Even though Shakira isn't as classically well endowed, she is also known for her style of dance.  I used to hate skinny girls so much because they had something I thought I could never have.  I embraced my curves yet I felt I didn't fit society's mold for what a desirable woman should look like.





Artists like Beyonce are working to start a conversation about #WHATISPRETTY which I think is a good idea.  I'm as guilty as the next person at focusing on the negative.  I recently watched myself on video, teaching a lesson entitled "How to start a blog."  My first though was "Wow my hips are so wide."  What kind of academic conclusion is that?





I would say that pretty is skin deep.  Compassion is much deeper.  Lecturing is disseminating knowledge.  Teaching and learning are more holistic.  Beauty is the sum of behavior.  What you wear is not as important as how you carry yourself and how you feel about yourself and others.  I'm not afraid to have fun and let loose when I'm among my friends.  I hope this post encourages you to stay positive regardless of your size and let go of hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment