Tuesday, February 3, 2015

commuting

This new year I had a few simple resolutions 1) eat out less, cook more at home 2) drive less, bike to work more.  These resolutions expanded into 3) join a gym, do more yoga and zumba 4) run a half-marathon, pain-free.

The things I have learned commuting are: you can't go from riding ~150 miles per month to ~250 miles per month overnight.  You have to lighten up and bring fewer things with you.  You can't expect to hurry.  You will be hungry.

When I do more, I eat better.  When I eat better, I have more energy.  When I feel better, I sleep better.  But life isn't perfect.  I've ridden to Pasadena 4 times and driven 2 times.  When I bike, I feel more relaxed.  When I drive, I have more time.

The thing that has really slowed me down is my posterior tibialis.  It hurts.  I didn't go see a doctor about it, instead I used the athletes treating athletes blog.  I understand it is likely due to unsupported ankles.  Maybe too much jumping on and off my bike.  Maybe too much Zumba?  Not enough stretching?  Wearing old shoes with not enough support?

Some guy pulled up next to me on the Colorado Street bridge and just as he drove through my blind spot, he honked.  I got so startled, I nearly jumped off my bike.  There are no signs saying "Share The Road" but there are also no signs saying "No Bicycles On Bridge" so why was that guy honking?

Some guy pulled up next to me near downtown Pasadena on Colorado and yelled "I wish I was your bike seat!"  That was also alarming because he was holding up traffic to drive at my pace.  Dudes, fellas, and guys: let a lady ride her bike in peace!

I was riding up Colorado through Eagle Rock and some guy flew by me on an e-bike.  It was humbling.  We were pedaling at an equal cadence, so how could he pass me on that uphill?  My persistence was rewarded when I (almost) caught up to him at a stoplight.  Then he sped off.

At least I have bike lanes almost all the way to school.




No comments:

Post a Comment