Monday, September 23, 2024

Mid-session Check-in

I feel like Session 3 is flying by. It's weird because I had a race in the middle of the session, which was somewhat strange and may have influenced my training cycle. But I'm trying to carry on and integrate the training plan from the LA Roadrunners, too. We are now officially in week 2 of the marathon training cycle.

I ran with the LAM 5:45 - R/W 3 group this weekend. I debated between that group and a slower one, but I decided to challenge myself. The sign said something like 13 minute miles and I thought it would be a stretch but I figured as long as it's run/walk I should be okay. It was hard to keep up but I did it. And afterwards I felt great.

The pacer, Mariana, had a sign with a QR code. When you scanned it, it brought you to the WhatsApp for this pace group. We could immediately connect with each other and share photos. It was actually awesome. I overheard another woman struggling with all the apps. Komoot and Strava and now WhatsApp. They were saying that it was a lot of technology to begin marathon training. They were having trouble downloading all the apps and finding the right one in the play store.

It was a real treat to run in such a big group, but some of us are still learning the rules of the road. Go two-by-two or single file depending on the path, so we can all share the space safely. If you spot a hazard-like a hole, step, bike, anything potentially dangerous, shout it out! If you hear someone in front of you calling out a danger, pass it on down the line, so everyone stays prepared. But don't call out every twig or leaf, we don't want to cry wolf so often that we miss real dangers.

She sent a message explaining all the notation in the training plan and specifically how that translated into our pace group, which I found really helpful.
  • R-pace (repetition): zone 5, for 200 to 800 meters
  • I-pace (interval): zone 4, for 800 to 1600 meters
  • T-pace (threshold): zone 5, 8/10 effort, 5 to 10k pace
  • HMRP (half-marathon race pace): pace expected on race day, high end of zone 3 - 12:58
  • MRP (marathon race pace): pace expected on race day, zone 3 - 13:09
  • easy: zone 2, 6/10 effort, 12:34 to 13:45 minutes per mile

TO WHAT EXTENT HAVE YOU MET YOUR RUNCLUB GOALS?

My goals this time are to continue building community among my runners, become more confident in my ability to lead, and keep training and building my fitness. I want to be more serious about cross-training and possibly have my sister write me a program. I am doing a good job of getting my miles in, but I could do better at cross-training and weight training.

WHICH COMPONENTS OF THE PROGRAM SUPPORTED YOUR PROGRESS? (SELECT ALL THAT APPLY)Here are some Facebook groups that I draw inspiration from:
I think some aspects of the Sparkle Squad, the LA Roadrunners, and the Rise and Run Family could translate to the Fit4Mom West SFV RunClub+. Sparkle Squad does a bracelet swap and a bunch of "getting to know you" posts right at the beginning of the year-long membership.
WHAT ABOUT RUNCLUB+ SURPRISED YOU OR DID NOT MATCH YOUR EXPECTATIONS (WHETHER POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE)? YOU CAN SHARE YOUR GENERAL REFLECTIONS HERE.

I met Juliet Ulanday from Fit4Mom SFVNELA and she is their RunClub+ coach. They also run at 8am on Sundays. She recognized me from my Instagram, so it was the first time someone recognized me from social media only because I'm unsure if we've ever met in person. We were both cooling down after the Santa Monica Classic. Her husband was forthcoming in sharing that managing the run club is challenging and that waning participation is universal. It made me feel connected to a larger running community, and it made me feel happy that I posted so many sweaty selfies on Instagram. At least they're reaching someone.

WHAT SUGGESTIONS DO YOU HAVE TO IMPROVE SESSION 4 (October, November, December)?

I tried having an after-run coffee/brunch with the gals during week 3, and it was kind of nice. We ended up staying another hour after our 3-mile run because one of our runners went to the wrong park and then had to drive across town to get to where we were. I felt it would be nice to do a little walk with her, and then we got coffee since we were already at a mall. It was something I wanted to try and I think it went well. Maybe not something we must do every time, but it was nice for a change.

Week 1 Homework
https://youtu.be/OzuF2Pym-Yg

Apps
https://youtu.be/hXFw_F1grb4

Videos that I still want to make:
  • Mission Inn Run course
  • Holiday Half Marathon course
  • Cycle Syncing
  • Magic Mile (or time trial) and how to determine what walk-run interval to use. And how run/walk might help you go faster.
  • How and why to keep a training journal
I also want to write a blog post about family-friendly Disneyland days and another one about budgeting and planning for races.

No comments:

Post a Comment