Saturday, November 10, 2012

Color Run ~ Race Report

If you have never done a Color Run, I can definitely recommend it.  The one I attended was EPIC.  There were 22,000 people traveling in cooperation, all wearing white.  There were hundreds of volunteers in goggles baptizing us in all the colors of the rainbow.  Then at the end everyone huddles together and sprays their color packet into the air and cheers!  There's no timing and no winning.  It's organized in waves.

The course I ran with my friend went around Qualcomm stadium in San Diego.  We went halfway around the stadium and then came back the same way we ran, since we started in the second wave, we saw the first man and first woman, running just as fast as they pleased!  There was a drumline from the YMCA that made me totally cry.  It reminded me of so many old high school memories, when life was simpler and all I needed was a beat and space to dance with my friends!

Life has been more than hectic lately.  The job search is moving forward.  I took my Nano Fashion Show on the road down to San Diego to carry out a mission of outreach and celebrating chemistry!  I stayed at the historic Sofia Hotel, a Neo Gothic architectural gem built in 1926 and operated during prohibition as the Pickwick Hotel.  En suite bathroom!  Very nice staff.  I was driving our 2003 Honda Civic which we fondly refer to as "the battlecat" and the valet guys were doing rock/paper/scissors for who would have to park it.

Monday, August 13, 2012, 7:28:56 PM
I missed the colors down there, there's a reason it's called The Jewel (La Jolla).  We had a great LOOOOOOOONG walk along the coast.  It's so soothing, we sat down on a bench and watched the waves come in for a long time.  Very restorative.  I've always loved the multiculturalism reflected there.  We walked about 3.5 miles after having run 3.2 miles.  That's what I love about San Diego, it supports outdoor activities.  Don't worry I was wearing sunscreen!

Back here in Glendale, not much is going on.  My squash is still flowering in the backyard but my front garden is suffering, with the exception of the succulent clones from Riverside.  And the spider plants.  I had intended to plant radish, chard, and more squash.  The pots are ready but the weather has been so crazy lately.  Dear husband bought me a Farmer's Almanac so perhaps I will find answers to life's persistent questions there.  Kind of like a CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics for gardeners.

The corn at my Student Garden is almost as tall as me!  You can see it in parts of this video.  An article is also here.  I have really been letting my colors fly lately in creative and scholarly activity.  Preparing a lab "Wish List" is so exciting, I had no idea this big step in my life would come so soon.  It's funny when you are young it seems your future can't come fast enough.  Then when life hits you with a big step, it seems like I'm unprepared for the magnitude of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment