Thursday, February 28, 2013

marche

I heard the greatest commercial where they presented data supporting a fitness routine called marche.  A consistent 30 minutes per day of marche had an amazing array of benefits.  Turns out marche is a fancy French word for walking.  Hey, they're on to something.

I've been wanting to catch up for a couple days now, with myself I mean.  And for me, that translates into one last blog post for February before March Madness hits.  It's not really madness, just spring break and planning for the upcoming conferences.  What I realized over time, using MapMyFitness, is that when I burn less than 6000 calories per month, I will gain weight.  Whether that is a result of my tendancy to overeat, I cannot say.  It's just a trend I've seen.

I tried to bike to work, and actually have done it three times now.  But then I had a shoe issue, which I am currently letting stop me in my plan.  Maybe I am getting lazy.  Maybe I don't plan well enough in advance.  Maybe I'm not exactly committed to doing it.  What might the barriers be?  Well, for starters I vomited the first time.  Don't know if it was the fumes or the train or the hard cycling after not being on the bike for awhile.  After that, I spaced out my morning/afternoon trains with a longer gap in between.  But then I wore my cycling shoes all day, walking around campus, and one of them broke.

I haven't been able to get myself to a bike shop to replace the shoes.  I haven't been walking the dogs or going for training runs.  But I have been doing some pretty fabulous marche.  I've heard that the difference between obese and not-obese is 100 calories per day.  But for me, that only gets me as far as overweight.  So I guess the difference between overweight and normal weight, for me, is 200 calories per day.  I just have to change my thinking.

Also, I've found my metabolism getting caught in a sugar addiction again.  I bought a dozen day-old bagels for goodness sakes.  I have bags and bars of chocolate on my desk.  I drink coffee until the evening.  I have not been keeping up with yoga.  But I have been doing a large amount of gardening.  Hauling the soil and buckets of rain water is still a decent total body workout.

I've been to a couple of amazing seminars recently.  Michael Bérubé totally blew my mind.  I'm still thinking about his ideas regarding reproductive rights; too important to be left to bioethicists. Gary Patterson told such stories about Michael Faraday, it took us back in time like Pitbull.  I had heard a lecture about Faraday at ASU, from Sir John Meurig Thomas.  This one was different, but complementary.  Today we're meeting to set a departmental dog policy.  I may already be a violator, since I've brought Edna and Mel to work on occasion.  Edna is quite vocal but hypoallergenic.  Mel is sweet and quiet, but sheds.  Two outlaws!

She wolf pack, we gotta go marche~!

1 comment: