Sunday, February 10, 2013

Seduction

The chemistry of seduction is an elaborate molecular dance.  I was driving to school the other day thinking about how I was seduced by the whole idea of being a working, participating scientist.  The image came into my mind about being female, being seduced, being the object, being the target, reining in the sexuality, dominating the competition, overcoming skeptics, and always going back to Eve and that tree of knowledge.

Why does sister sound like sinister?  I went to a workshop in NoHo and there was no hate to be found there.  We exorcised it...gave it a break...broke the chains...freed our hearts...Rather than the typical battles, we just showed up and gave each other our support. What if all of life was like that?

According to about.com "abilities in subjects such as math are actually strongest when both halves of the brain work together." Therefore, engaging in dance (study of music), color, recognizing faces, expressing emotions, reading emotions, following one's intuition, and producing creative work is necessary to keep the brain of a person who regularly exercises logic, critical thinking, numbers, reasoning, and language healthy and connected.

Also, thinking about body language.  My friend is starting an acting class, the first topic of which was body language.  In a classroom, I bring a set of body language to the environment.  So far, I have had the desks in my classroom in clusters of 4, split in half by a diagonal, facing front, facing side.  We're getting to know each other, the students and I.  There is a "reading assignment" and "lecture topics" list posted now for each class meeting.  I really enjoyed the Rock with H.E.R. workshop because it gave me a bunch of confidence, and a set of body postures to match.

Also thinking about didgeridoo.  We attended a public lecture about sleep apnea given by USC Medical School.  The last seminar of a 4-seminar program was about how playing the didgeridoo could improve the quality of life for sufferers of sleep apnea.  The link to an article in the British Medical Journal is here.  I was driving in my car and heard Jamiroquai Synkronized and started jamming with Wallace Buchannan on the digderidoo.  Talk about rhythms and vibe.  I don't think we'll buy one, but maybe tapping into the Hu could work with or without the instrument.

Speaking of cycling news, in the course of biking to school twice I busted my shank.  So I guess that means it's time for new shoes.  But that's two days of not driving and two days of biking a moderate distance.  It was scary the first day and less scary the second day.  I don't know what I'll do this Tuesday because I fear at any moment my shoe will disconnect itself, leaving the bottom half clipped to the pedal and the top half flapping in the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment