Tuesday, May 5, 2015

OC Half Marathon ~ Race Report

Our training schedule looked like this:

02-01-15 Training Run #1 = 7.52 miles (16:44 pace)

03-01-15 Training Run #2 = 9.41 miles (15:44 pace)

03-28-15 Training Run #3 = 11.34 miles (15:41 pace)

05-03-15 Race Day = 13.53 miles (14:59 pace)

The course was GORGEOUS:

Not strictly along the water, but we had enough cool ocean breezes to help us towards the finish line.  This was not a particularly hilly course, with a 450 ft elevation gain.  We trained on the course for Training Runs 2 & 3.  I think that really helped.  Training in the outfit that I actually wore on race day was a good idea.  Races are fun because you don't have to carry anything.  There were plenty of water and bathroom stops.  My three favorite cheering groups were: (mile 6) a K-Pop Drill Team, (mile 7) a band playing under the PCH, and (mile 11) where there was a short 5% grade.


Some people run to win, some people run for charity, but this run was for family.  I wrote in February that my goal was to run a half-marathon pain-free.  Well, that didn't happen.  Right now (two days later) my toenails still hurt.  But it was a great day to be outdoors and together with people that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment