Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why drop the B-bomb?

Well, I debated the name of this blog for quite some time, but I wanted biking to be in there and I have a soft spot in my heart for alliteration. First I did some on-bike brainstorming. I've been thinking about this for the past two rides at least (the Midnight Ridazz Salton Sea 2009 last weekend and then again on Riverside Ridazz Tuesday Ceilings). First, I checked to see if the domain names I had thought about were free. I realized "Bitch on a Bike" was unclaimed, although my other idea "Biking for Boobies" was already in use by some motorcyclists (but good for them!).

What really pushed me to type the phrase "Bitch on a Bike" into the Title field was that after I used the Google feature to obtain a profile of definitions for the word bitch (type in to the search field "define: bitch" to see what I mean). The original definition I had in mind was that a bitch is a person (usually but not necessarily a woman) who is thoroughly disliked. I used that *hate* and contrasted it with my love for females of the canine species, since I am the proud owner of 2 bitches (both mutts) and they are thoroughly liked by just about everyone.

The cool thing is that it can also refer to in general an unpleasant difficulty, as in "this problem is a real bitch." That relates to getting through graduate school. Additionally, bitching is a synonym for complaining, which as you will see, I tend to do quite a bit of. When things make me passionate or polarized, I blog about them. Awesomer still is that Bitch (or bitch) is a nonprofit, independent, quarterly magazine published in Portland, Oregon, that describes itself as a "Feminist response to pop culture." I might just have to start subscribing to that. And finally, to really put me over the edge, if one says "That was bitchin' " with the proper tone of voice, it means excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment