Friday, February 20, 2009

Weekend plans

This weekend I plan to do some cleaning. I'm in the middle of cleaning my desk at school and also my husband and I are trying to stick to a schedule of chores to maintain a clean house. I'm really trying to make the effort to stay on top of everything going on in my life right now, but I feel I'm slipping on several fronts. I guess that's why they say, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time." This leads me to ask, "Who is most important to keep pleased?"

Another thing I would like to do this weekend is enter and finish a 5K race. There's one here in Riverside at Fairmount park and I figure it will be good cross-training. I've been telling people that I plan to run it and getting mixed responses. Some say, "Sweet!" and some say, "Have you been training for it?" I guess I figure that 5K "fun runs" have been designed so that anyone can finish them, regardless of their state of training. Plus I heard a story on NPR about a guy who was studying computer science who was trapped in his apartment building and burned 90% of his body. Part of his recovery involved training for and running in a 5K. If he can do it, so can I. See: http://thestory.org/sidebars/manoj-and-sharon-s-5k-race/

Finally, I'm going to The Bicycle Lounge (http://thebicyclelounge.com/) for the first time to put new shifter cables on my Bridgestone. This was my very first "big girl bike" that I got as a birthday present when I turned 13 (it was assumed I had stopped growing). I've had it ever since, through high school at Omaha North High, college at University of Nebraska at Kearney, graduate school at Arizona State University, and while I was teaching at the community colleges in Maricopa County. I used to commute to ASU but it was only 2 miles each way, then I communted to Scottsdale community college which was 11 miles each way, and finally I used it to commute to UCR which was less than 2 miles each way. It's seen better days, for sure, but with regular maintenance it has held up pretty well. According to an internet bike guru (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/) the Bridgestone team pioneered the design of the first generation mountain bikes by adding steeper frame angles and shorter chain stays, making them more maneuverable and nimble than the older designs, and considerably better climbers. In the '80s this design was considered "radical" but it proved itself on the trail, and was copied by everybody a few years later. This Bridgestone design still is the standard for rigid frame MTBs. Why not put a little love into the old MB and see what she is still capable of?

No comments:

Post a Comment