Sunday, September 16, 2012

Authentic AND Local

I have my head in two places at once --> or maybe they are actually one.  I'm looking to the job market while at the same time focusing on doing a good job at the job I have.  But either way, I'm career-focused right now.  When I wake up in the morning, I feel energized at the possibilities of the day, but at the end of the day I am tending to feel like I didn't get enough done and I am trying to get up to speed to get to everything without any losses of time, but you gotta eat and you gotta sleep, ya dig?

I am writing about things that I'm happy about here.  My sister is visiting right now with her husband.  I have already attended the first seminar in the Fall 2012 Keck Seminar series.  My student presented her poster at the Summer Research Symposium.  I introduced myself to the ~80 new students I am teaching General Chemistry.  My car is amazing.  I love my doggies.

I am writing here about things that are upsetting me.  My back is hurting again.  I worry that I don't have the strength to do all the stuff I want to.  Between running and biking and home-gym-ing it with my husband, I had trimmed off a few extra pounds.  I wanted to be in shape when the school year started because for me, teaching is a very physically demanding profession.

My new classroom(s) are different sizes than the one(s) I had last year.  In one of them, there is so much furniture that I can hardly walk around.  In the other classroom, it's so spacious with staircases that I have to be very stable on my feet to walk throughout the space to pass out papers and interact with students 1-on-1.

What I wanted to write about today is the idea that I like to eat produce that is authentic (organic) and local just as much as I like to meet people of the same variety.  I like a diverse mix of people, just like I enjoy a salad with a variety of things in it.  I am brainstorming words that describe me (for the purposes of my job searching) and I would say Authentic is one big one.

I've spent time finding myself and my core values and I am genuinely myself.  I am nobody other than what I am.  I represent me.  I would also say that I am a locavore.  I love things that are locally grown or made.  I love growing and making things using materials that can be found in my local area.  If anyone is hiring, I am here in Glendale, locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment