Friday, June 13, 2014

#ChemChamps Transcript

Kayla A. Kaiser, CSUN #ChemChamps 
0:00
My name is Kayla Kaiser and I'm a chemistry champion!

0:03
I was born in Omaha Nebraska.  I went to school at the University of Nebraska at
0:07
Kearney.
0:08
I lived in the honors dormitory and I studied chemistry with my friends.

0:11

I started doing undergraduate research as a sophomore.
0:15
My first project involved chromatography,
0:18
which separates a parent molecule from its byproducts
0:21
and we used this to study a common herbicide in groundwater and corn plants.
0:26
I attended my first ACS national meeting in 2001.
0:30
I visited Texas A&M University for summer research
0:34
where I learned the technique of infrared spectroscopy.
0:38
Spectroscopy is the use of electromagnetic radiation to investigate
0:41
molecular structure
0:43
and abundance.  There I learned about computer processing of "big data."
0:47
I headed to Arizona State University for graduate school
0:52
and I studied surface plasmon resonance spectroscopy
0:55
investigating a protein that is a marker of non-healing wounds such as burns and
1:00
diabetic ulcers.
1:01
At the University of California, Riverside
1:04
I studied chemical genomics using the model plant Arabidopsis
1:08
by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
1:11
and chromatography.  As a leader in the Graduate Student Association we organized
1:15
demonstrations for K -12 students in our community.
1:20
At the W. M. Keck science department at Claremont McKenna, Pitzer, and Scripps
1:24
Colleges
1:24
I continued my K -12 outreach.  I managed a small research group while
1:30
teaching lecture, general chemistry, and laboratory.
1:33
It was my pleasure to teach chromatography, buffers, and extractions
1:36
for the analysis a plant tissues to my research group.  The overarching theme of my research
1:41
has been
1:41
the study of plant signaling and metabolism.  Now, I use the statistical
1:47
techniques I learned in research
1:49
to analyze the "big data" in education.  I use quantitative analysis of the
1:54
student's performance
1:55
on exams and other assessments to adjust my teaching methods.
1:59
Our outreach efforts are focused on increasing the diversity of
2:04
under-represented groups in science
2:06
and encouraging young women and girls to pursue STEM fields.
2:13
At California State University, Northridge I teach introductory and
2:16
general chemistry.  I am
2:17
also the adviser to the chemistry and biochemistry club.
2:20
We organize K -12 outreach in honor of National chemistry week.
2:24
I should be named a chemistry champion because I'm a role model every day in
2:28
the classroom and the community.
2:30
ACS national meetings keep me up to date with the latest research in educational
2:34
techniques to
2:35
better train the next generation of Chemistry champions.  Here we see the separation of 
2:39
low-molecular-weight compounds from higher molecular weight compounds
2:43
represented by different colors of paper and we have the column
2:47
which is a nice purple color.  You see each student is embodying
2:51
chemistry
2:52
in the kinesthetic learning activity of chromatography.

This was the first time I had a transcript automatically generated for a video on YouTube.  It was mostly correct with the exception of "plant Arabidopsis" translated to "plan to wrap it up sis." LOL!

Right now my video is ranked #16 out of 25 entries so I would appreciate you viewing the video if you have 3 minutes to spare.  Semifinalists will be informed via email by June 20.  Up to 10 semifinalists will be selected.  Evaluation Criteria Scientific accuracy; presentation quality; number of views on YouTube.  Semifinalists will be flown to San Francisco in August, where they'll deliver their presentations during a private workshop on August 9.  Up to five finalists will be selected by ACS staff.  Finalists will present in person to a public audience in San Francisco on the evening of August 10.   The 2014 ACS Chemistry Champion will be selected by a real-time popular vote incorporating Twitter participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment