Sunday, January 12, 2020

Pregnancy Part 21

If I could choose one word to describe this pregnancy journey, I would summarize it as "desperate." Checking up on what that word means, I see that it's a pretty dangerous word. It refers to despair. It refers to last-ditch. It refers to impossible and having little hope. I was thinking of it more in a sense of having a great desire for something, but to read all of the other meanings of the word, I get a sense of the power of that word choice and I understand why my brain selected this word.

At our Bradley class, we had an interesting discussion around photos and video of the birth. We covered the items that are good to have in the event of an earthquake, after baby arrives. We discussed the medications that should be purchased for the baby. We learned that from this moment onward, I should be on some absorbent material in case my water breaks. This includes the couch, my recliner, the passenger seat of our van and both beds upstairs. It's to protect our property, since the fluid is impossible to clean. Anything that catches it will be ruined. Maybe my water will break at the hospital. Yes, let's hope.

Why or why not show bump photos on social media? https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1132102/parental-advisory-bump-pics/

Went to babywearing meetup. Great to get hands-on instructions for how to put on, adjust, and add baby to the different types of carriers. Also solved the mystery of why we were able to get the lillebaby carrier so cheap (corporate bad behavior, but not a recall or anything hazardous for baby).

At the 30 week appointment blood pressure was 125/78. Fundal height between 30 & 31. Didn't catch the fetal heart rate, but doc didn't seem concerned. Bit frustrated because I never know when they will ask for a urine sample. Wish it were regular, so that I could plan for it. Just collect every appointment and then dump it if you don't need it! Don't keep me guessing!

In Bradley class, doing a few practice contractions was really helpful. We tested 3 positions for first stage labor and covered what each of us should be doing. Him: gently stroking the skin (head, arms, back, legs) slowly, watching the monitor to let her know when the worst part of the contraction is over, grounding her by making physical contact. Her: belly breathing until the contraction is over, eyes closed, muscles of the face, neck, shoulders and arms are relaxed, open eyes and take a cleansing breath when the contraction is over.

I can't believe we're in 2020, month 8. Hospital bag is like 80% packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment