Thursday, November 2, 2023

runDisney

9/27 - Dear Parent, We are writing to tell you that your child was exposed to COVID-19. Wear a mask until day 10 (10/6/23). Test for COVID-19 on 9/29-10/1.

10/11 - I FULLY FELT LIKE I WAS TAKING CRAZY PILLS. It is unsettling to me as a parent that there is no information posted about the status of the classroom. I am sad because Albert's classroom 130 lost Mrs. Flor around this time of year and she was not replaced for a very long time (months). I am worried about who will be responsible for rm 170. We don't know when things will go back to normal. And we aren't being given much information. I understand that everyone is doing their best with the COVID surge and the return of masking. I am not getting much solid information to make me feel like Albert is in good hands.

Albert wearing Lightning McQueen sunglasses two fisting milk and juice

10/12 - Rm 170 parent meeting. Learned the new teacher (Jody) would become the supervising teacher. I had a gut feeling that something was wrong and I asked the substitute Teacher Ana what was going on. She said that there was a parent meeting yesterday and I freaked out because I thought I missed it. After talking to DH, it turns out I didn't miss it, the notice was only sent out to some parents and not others. At this point, I felt better because we didn't have to have Albert wear a mask anymore and things appeared to be settling down. Teacher Abrams was returning and helping the children transition without Teacher Vanessa.

10/23 - Rant incoming: Sick and tired. The kid was sent home from daycare last Wednesday for loose stool. I had him all day Mon. Half Tues. Half Fri. DH had half Tues, half Weds, all Thurs, and half Fri. LO was basically home all week. No vomit. Low fever. Sneeze and nasal drip. 2.5h contact naps every day. Hoped he would go back today but low fever so kept him home for the second Monday in a row. Dunno how parents of 3.5-year-olds did any WFH during the pandemic. I thought my Mondays were for me. To do whatever, work, play, rest. It's the only day I don't teach. DH has the nerve to tell me he has banked 798 hours of sick leave. Why are we splitting this? I need my grading days!

10/26 - Rm 170 parent meeting. Thought everything was settling down. The following day we learned that there was a lice outbreak and the other teacher quit. 

11/2 - Last week I was feeling so crazy (Oct 23-27). I think it was a combination of hormones (PMS) and hormones (weaning). I tried using the Calm app and I couldn't even focus enough to do a 10 minute meditation. I kept opening up all my work and not being able to make much progress. This week has been much better. My period started on Monday (10/30) and that helped. I also was able to have Mike watch Albert since he was out sick for half of October, which allowed me to get back to catching up on grading. I won't say I'm fully caught up now.


We're trying a financial strategy I like to call "fun month, boring month" where we do a big trip or splurge in July (Nebraska), then stay home for most of August. Then have an expensive month in September (our AC broke and we stayed in a hotel), then stay home mostly in October, then travel in November (going to San Diego and Riverside) and stay home in December, then travel in January (for the runDisney Disneyland 5k). I used to have a lot of blogs that were race reports and I'm kind of reminiscing about some of those favorite races we used to do.

Jan (too cold?)
July (too hot)
Aug (too hot)
Sept (too hot)

Bubbles at the end of the color run
Albert's first 5k - Color Run Los Angeles - June 11, 2022

Then I guess the Disneyland 5k we are already signed up for can be January 2024 and the new Disneyland 5k just announced for September 2024 can be September. I don't think they do the Downtown Dash anymore, but that's the month of the LA marathon so maybe we should consider that. I'm not saying that I want to run a race every month out of the year but it's fun to see which ones we used to do annually and make a calendar of when they are. I don't know if we can afford to do all the Disneyland races, because they're so expensive.


I said that I wanted to run between a 12 and 14-minute mile which I am admitting now was very optimistic. That was based on last year when I did the Fit4Mom Body Well program and I was doing 14 minutes and 18 seconds in January 2023 (start of the program) and 13 minutes and 15 seconds in March 2023 (end of program). My weight was 221 lbs at the start of it and 214 lbs at the end. I just weighed myself yesterday or the day before and it was 225 lbs. So I guess if I keep training and maybe drop some pounds it will be possible.

Graph of 5 years worth of weight
Fitbit now brought to you by Google

I was so depressed because my back started hurting after going to the LA Zoo on Oct 21st. Then we did the CSUN Bike Fest on Oct 22nd and I rode the heavy cargo bike. Then my knees really started hurting after going to Fit4Mom on Oct 23rd. I was all psyched up for my training with running and I had done a few interval workouts. But I sat down to use the toilet that night and I felt like my quad was ripping at the kneecap. Well I knew I had overdone it. So I tried to tone it down and take ibuprofen and no runs that week. Then I did the stroller treating with running but no squatting on Oct 28th. I made sure to apply ice packs to both knees right after that workout. I tried a bit of light jogging this week (10/31 and 11/2) and so far no pain.

I'm not going to assume running is going to solve all my problems but what I have learned is that Albert loves his scooter and he can scoot and keep up with me while I'm doing my run/walk thing. I've used my Fitbit Versa 3 on interval training mode to do the Galloway method. I run for only 10 seconds and walk for 30 seconds. It's supposed to be good for getting me to 15:30 -17:00 min/mi. Or basically just to get started. For a 14:30 -15:45 min/mi I should be running 15 seconds, walking 30 seconds. Or for a 12:15 -14:15 min/mi (which is what I said I would be doing), I would need to run 30 seconds and walk 30 seconds. The Run/Walk method is supposed to be easier on the joints and good for a "returning athlete." 

Albert at the LA Zoo playground climbing on an alligator statue

Also the weather is turning very fall. We had some crazy Santa Ana winds over the weekend that blew down everyone's Halloween decorations. Which only made everything look more spooky. This blog post is getting long and rambly but I wanted to say that listening to the Rise and Run podcast is a ray of sunshine in my week now and it is making me remember how much I did love running when I lived in Riverside and how it was just a thing I did for enjoyment and companionship. I'm not a treadmill kind of gal, I really enjoy the experience of going somewhere.

Brooks Ghost 14 White/Purple/Coral

Finally, I got a new pair of running shoes and of course I can notice the difference. The Rise and Run podcast did an episode about shoes and another about running on a budget and it made me think about ordering last season's shoes before they are totally out of stock, because they're much less than new. I got these from the Brooks website for $89. Ghost 15 is $140 and Ghost Max is $150. I wish there was some kind of subscribe and save to get running shoes automatically shipped to you when they hit 400 miles. I used my Fitbit to estimate the number of steps since I've bought new shoes and then divided it by 3 because I bought 3 pairs last time. They're not at 400 miles according to that calculation, but they just don't feel as supportive as I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment