Thursday, May 25, 2017

trans*

In the Web of Science you can use a star as a wildcard.  Therefore trans* would return articles about any of the following topics:

  • Transportation, transect
  • Transformation, transmutation
  • Transcription, transmission
  • Transparency, translucent
  • Transient, transition
  • Transpiration, transplants
  • Transcendental, transfixed
  • Transference, transfusion
  • Transnational, translation
  • Transformers: The Last Knight (in theaters June 23)

When I get a theme in my head, I want to flush it out by writing.  I have a lot about transportation on my mind right now.  It's bike month.  I didn't go to the "ride of silence" this year, but I think I'll go to the placement of a ghost bike on 6530 Winnetka St.  It's shameful that cyclists are being hit by cars on such wide roads as we have here in the valley.  It's like cyclists are transparent (invisible).

Summer is here and the cacti are flowering.  Other plants are transpiring a lot of water and I'm not sure if they'll survive the summer without being transplanted into a different container or being transported to a different location.  We're surviving our transition to living in Northridge.  It's easier to get to campus, for sure.  But harder to get to Walk Bike Glendale meetings and events in LA.

I'm hoping people can get more transnational.  The science march was almost pointless, the rest of the world saw us carrying signs with "nerd jokes" that only other science people would understand.  The new acronym now is STEAM'D which stands for Science Technology Engineering Art Math and Design.  We need a transfusion of political will to deal with the current reality.
The summer classrooms where I'll be teaching have gender-neutral restrooms near them.  I went in there to scope it out.  Transgender people are welcome at CSUN.  I have transcripts from my CHEM 101 lectures that still need to be edited and uploaded to the videos on YouTube.  Why do I have 55 cycling videos on my YouTube channel?  Nobody really watches them.  Hopeless transmission.



I had transformers (toys) as a child.  That was my favorite toy.  I've always wished I were a boy.  I feel it's hard to be taken seriously as a girl.  But I do love biking in a dress.  In my new free time, I feel like I should do some more meditation.  Go transcendental.  Become transfixed.  But so far, the only way I can really clear my head is rollerskating or cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment