Wednesday, October 14, 2020

I was told there would be weight loss

Breastfeeding will melt off the pounds they said...lies!

I have joined several Facebook groups devoted to weight loss while breastfeeding.

IIFYM stands for "if it fits your macros." I was doing very well losing weight on the Zita West IVF diet, which when I look back I see that I ate greater than 25% of my calories in protein and less than 40% of my calories in carbs. So that would be 40-25-35.

Russell, J.B, et al. “Does Changing a Patient's Dietary Consumption of Proteins and Carbohydrates Impact Blastocyst Development and Clinical Pregnancy Rates from One Cycle to the next?” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 98, no. 3, 2012, p. S47.

Then when I was pregnant, I followed the Brewer diet. It dictated that one should aim for over 100 grams of protein per day. One should have two eggs, 4 glasses of milk, yellow or orange fruit or vegetable, 2 servings of leafy greens every day. Also include a whole baked potato 3 times per week.

Now that I am breastfeeding I looked into a nutrition calculator and found that I should be getting 150-200 grams of protein per day. This seems like a lot. But definitely something I had not been doing hence why I was not losing weight. For the carbs the range is larger, between 100-250 grams depending on whether I am doing low-medium-or-high carb varieties. It seems like the recommendation is to start tracking and weighing yourself. Then if it's working, keep doing it. If it's not working, adjust the ratios and try again.

The Zone diet is all in the numbers: 40-30-30. Zone dieters balance their meals and snacks so that their calories come from a mix of 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent protein and 30 percent “friendly” fats.

The defaults on MyFitnessPal are 50-20-30.

As a temporary measure, a high-protein diet is effective for weight loss. Something like 30-40-30.

So far I am able to do 40-20-40 but I'm not having good success getting the ratios to 40-25-35.

IIFYM Postpartum and Breastfeeding suggests 50-25-25 as an example.
Here is a calculator https://www.milkmademacros.com/flexible-dieting-macro/

The "lower carb" option is 20-40-40.
The "moderate carb" option is 35-30-35.
The "higher carb" option is 50-30-20.

I've been tracking for 3.5 weeks now, have not seen a great deal of weight loss. But I can say I haven't gained so that's something.

As my mom says, it's also about portion control. I'm using 2,280 Calories per day as my target.

No comments:

Post a Comment