Friday, February 12, 2021

what I didn't know I didn't know

1) cloth diapers

I didn't know my baby would prefer cotton over fleece. I didn't know I would never use the 16 bamboo cotton fitteds, 33 polyester pockets, 14 single gusset PUL covers or 7 polyester AIOs.

I love my Bummis Super Whisper Wrap PUL covers and my 27x2 FSTs. I double them now and still use a kite fold with a snappi closure. I have just recently added a set of 24 bamboo washcloths for extra absorbany in the baby boy pee zone. But I have 122 inserts that I am not using at all.


I didn't know I would never use the wet bags outside of the house. I never knew the simplest trash can would be my favorite. I never knew I would use the diaper sprayer until my son was 9 months old but it is useful and I love it now.

2) mittens

I didn't realize how much babies scratch themselves. I thought I would not need hats and mittens but they were helpful while we were figuring out the scratching phase. I didn't know what to do for the baby's cradle cap but eventually I got a brush for it and that helped. I started hoarding pjs that had built-in hand covers.

3) footed vs non footed pjs

For a while I only wanted footed pjs. I didn't understand why footless pjs were even made. Then my baby started crawling and standing and now I get it. I only want footless pjs now.

It's funny how you think you know something. What you want, what you need. And then baby grows and gets new skills and everything changes. It's like every 2 months. I hate spending money to solve a problem for such a short time. But when it's a problem, it's an urgent and very real sometimes life-threatening problem. Sometimes it's a matter of comfort or less stress and that can seem like a lifesaver. And just when I thought we had reached living room babyproofing nirvana, it's time to reconfigure the space because baby is taller and exploring everything within reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment