Thursday, June 13, 2019

Fertility Part 13

I wish I could skip #13, because it is considered unlucky. But let me just post an update and not get too hung up on superstitions. I have been weighing in around 193 pounds, my last menstrual cycle was 34 days. I finally got a normal period on June 7th.

I have started taking estrogen. Today is day 6 of taking Estrace (Estradiol) 2mg tablets twice per day by mouth. They are just a teeny tiny aqua blue pill, very small in comparison to the pink prenatal horse pill. I have been taking "One A Day" prenatal vitamins for over a year now. In addition to the "vitamin" there is a liquid gel containing omega 3 fatty acids: docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). After getting blood-work done, I started taking vitamin D supplements, due to a test that showed insufficient levels.

I have also had two injections of Delestrogen (Estradiol Valerate) 20mg/mL - Inject 0.1 mL intramuscular, every 3rd day. The first injection was in my right hip, 5 days ago. The second injection was in my left, 2 days ago. We have an appointment tomorrow to see how the endometrial lining is thickening. I feel torn between wanting to be informed and not wanting to read too much and getting freaked out.

This is what I did on Monday (6/10)
The injections themselves are not really painful. I have been making a definite attempt to do more walking and gentle exercise like swimming. I got some great pool floats and noodles that are adaptive so that I can work my arms without hurting the injection site. I went to my HIIT workout last night, it felt good to be among people, sweating and suffering together!

Since restarting hormone supplements, I feel sleepy and mentally foggy. Although I am not sure if that is because I am overwhelmed with what this process means or because I have been going to acupuncture or because I am not drinking coffee or because I am on the greatest stay-cation of my life. I keep dropping my car keys and not realizing it. Then I have to dig through the car (without panicking) to find them again.

During my first acupuncture session, it felt like some little gnome was sitting on my forehead, or like there was some unseen hand pressing down on my forehead. Afterwards, about 2 hours later, I had explosive diarrhea. During my second acupuncture session, I did not feel much. About 6 hours later, I had explosive diarrhea. I wrote about those first two sessions towards the end of this post.

During my third acupuncture session, I felt my entire face go numb. Also, my left arm went numb and then had a tingling sensation. I read up on acupuncture a little bit and this may be what people describe as de qi. Or maybe not. Anyhow, when I got home about 10 hours later, I had explosive diarrhea. It's not something alarming or making me feel sick, it actually gives me fair warning and I can sit on the toilet and let it go.

Some of the articles I read say that acupuncture helps support pregnancy through detoxification and improving circulation. Others say that the body's "fight or flight" response is down-regulated and the "rest and digest" mechanisms are stimulated. My practitioner has been placing needles in my feet, shin, hands, elbow and back of the knee. He does a tiny bit of massage just after removing the needles. While the needles are inserted, a heat lamp is placed over my belly for 20 minutes. I focus on breathing and reciting mantras.

I have been reading and practicing Sacred Woman. For the life of me, I remember reading that the bedroom should be like a jungle (with many plants) but maybe that just came to me in a meditation. Prior to finding this book, I had a thought "I need an altar." But I did not have a framework for "how to make an altar." The Sacred Woman book gave me that. I have been collecting little things around myself that are altar-appropriate, without really understanding why I was collecting those things.


I revisited this post from last summer, which was about the little things I was doing to reduce clutter and stress in my life. I have also been admiring Monty Don's French Gardens and Tidying Up with Marie Kondo. Together, those two programs have encouraged me to clean up and beautify my space and let go of things that I do not need.

I am finding that I am craving a more spiritual connection. I know I am about to go through a big change, whether our IVF cycle is successful or not. But I am definitely putting down some roots that will be beneficial for the long-term, whatever happens.

This is what I did this week

No comments:

Post a Comment