Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Consumables

In other news that nobody cares about except me... I made a list of the running shoes I've purchased and how I have evolved from Brooks Ghost to Brooks Ariel.
http://bitchonabike.blogspot.com/2009/11/mission-inn-run.html

The internet says you should replace your running shoes every 300–500 miles, or roughly every 4–6 months if you run 20 miles per week. But it adds that heavier runners may wear out their shoes more quickly. I replace mine about every 200 miles because it seems like I start feeling the impact of running on sidewalks and streets around that time. It's not worth getting shin splints.

4 pairs of Brooks Ghost running shoes

3 pairs of Brooks Ariel running shoes

Shoes
  • June 2019 silver ghost 11 = $99 via Zappos
  • May 2021 grey pink blue ghost 13 via Nordstrom = $130
  • Dec 2022 white black blue light ghost 14 via Zappos = $109 
  • Oct 2023 white purple coral ghost 14 via Brooks 178 miles = $98.49
  • March 2024 black Ariel 23 via Fleet Feet Encino 250 miles = $160 
  • June 2024 grey green Ariel 20 via Amazon 194 miles = $92
  • August 2024 grey pink sulphur ghost 14 via Poshmark = $45
  • Sept 2024 grey pink Ariel 23 via Amazon = $119 
Brooks Ghost 14 with Shoe Shwings from Sparkle Athletic
I added wings and I only wear these for teaching






I've written before about what qualities of sports bras are good for larger-chested women. I haven't written about how things changed when I had my son and have been a breastfeeding mom for several years now. The sports bras I like now have front-closure. They're very supportive but also very constricting. I can only wear them for a short time before they start to hurt. I recently added a few lighter ones from Freya active, which have a back closure. They're good for warm weather when I want something more breathable.

The crazy thing is that the internet says you should replace your sports bras every 6 months to 1 year. That's why I have so many. But since I roll them up and put them together with shorts and a top, I like having many different ones. I feel like they can last longer if you have a larger collection to rotate through. Another great thing about the SheFit bra is that you can wear it as a swimsuit top. The straps are rigid due to the velcro, so they're not stretchy. They're not going to get "stretched out." So I do feel like they last longer. But they also feel very industrial.

Bras

Enell size 4 - high impact
🖤Black 2/18/21
💜Purple Reign 4/8/22
🏳️‍🌈Pride 2/14/23
💂‍♂️Black Camo 3/13/24
🌚Midnight Run 6/18/24

Shefit 3 Luxe - ultimate
💗"Confident" pink 2/18/21
💕Rose Taupe 2/18/21
🍉Watermelon tie-dye 4/11/22
🌷Pink floral 4/11/22
🎾 pastel lime 8/10/22

Freya Women's Dynamic Wireless Sports Bra 38J
🐆 Pure Leopard Aqua 3/13/24
🔥 Hot Crimson 3/8/24

What I like to do is arrange my running outfits with shorts, bra, and tank top in a leggings organizer so I don't have to figure out what goes together in the dark when I go out for my morning runs. I tried running without a tank top a few times this summer but unfortunately my light up vest band made a few chafe spots on my torso, which was no bueno.


I might as well toss the inventory of sunglasses into this post. 

May 2022
Zeus = white / purple BFGs
Donkey = orange / blue
Tats = pink / pink
Flamingos = pink / blue
Dinotopia = teal / purple
Kraken = purple / purple

May 2022
Falkor = blue / blue
Bourbon BFG = blk / org
Orange crush BFG = org / blu

June 2022
Onyx = black / black BFGs
Knock = brown BFGs
Bourbon BFG = blk / org
Nessy = teal / green

June 2023
Thorny = red / green / gold
Fireworkin = white / blue

August 2023
Flamingos = pink / blue
Dinotopia = teal / purple

May 2024
Bloody Mary = red/purple
Nessy = teal / green

The reason why I put these under consumables is that they break, get lost, get scratched or otherwise gifted to friends and family. The only ones I still have that are wearable are Bloody Mary, Nessy and Dinotopia. Fireworkin and Flamingos are scratched but I haven't thrown them away yet because they're cute and I let Albert wear them if he wants to. They're important because as polarized lenses, they protect my eyes from sun damage. And at $25 per pair, they're more affordable than shoes and bras.


I guess the final topic would by the CRZ Yoga shorts that I love. They're compressive in the midsection, which holds my FUPA from jiggling while I run. I get XL size with 8" length. I prefer the ones with the phone / wallet pockets on the sides. They're great for walking around Disneyland too. I've gotten so many compliments on them while in the parks. I had planned to wear them as swimsuit bottoms but this one pair started to get a hole in it so I tossed it in the trash. The last thing I need is to get chafing from skin rubbing while on a training run or during a race.



Why do I need so many? Well, I guess the answer is that you only need 3. One to wash, one to wear, and one for a spare. But in the case that I'm running or working out every day, I would need at least 5 in rotation to get through the work week. Considering some are wearing out, it's good to replace them. I used to have an IKEA Pressa which is an octopus with 8 arms. I would put my bra and shorts on the clips and hang the tank top over the arm. This is also a good way to dry them I guess after a run so they don't stink up your laundry basket. I prefer the 8" length over the 10" which feels hotter (not sexier) in the summer. Definitely was on the fence about the lighter colors, which do show the cellulite more. But those I tend to wear under a running skirt, so they don't show much anyway.


I have acquired several sparkle skirts. For the sparkle running skirts I have turquoise, yellow, lime and baby pink. For the specialty skirts, I have magical shapes, mermaid, red with white polka dots, the 2023-24 squad print which is pink teal black and purple polka dots on a white background, the 2024-2025 squad print which is bright rainbow colors on a black background, an Encanto print, and a Forest print. I want to add many more because I'm obsessed with colorful stuff, sparkly stuff, and collecting. I would get the Tangled Flowers (purple) and a matching tank top. I want the Frozen Snowflakes print skirt for my Holiday Half Marathon. But at some point I have to pump the brakes, write a blog post like this and ask myself, is this something I really need for my marathon training, or is this just silly and not something that will help me get my miles?

closet where sparkle skirts hang with kids clothes

Of course, each skirt has a matching hat or visor, so I had to get a hat organizer. I was also amassing a large collection of headbands and friendship bracelets and it was hard to find the ones I wanted, so I got an organizing rack for headbands too. I have an organizer for my sunglasses and I actually love it. My husband made it custom for me when he had access to a machine shop in grad school. The Headsweats visors fit me too tight, resulting in a headache after just two or three miles, so what I do now is cut the elastic and sew in an extender. Some of the extenders are pieces of ribbon with reflective elements and other extenders are just elastic.

hat organizer

bracelet and headband organizer

rack for Goodr sunglasses
RIP Falcor and Two Tats

I got the brilliant idea to train for the LA Marathon as a way to shed the post-baby pounds that lingered after breastfeeding. But I'm starting to realize that just like breastfeeding, some people lose weight while training for a marathon and some people gain weight. There's no guarantee that training for a marathon will lead to weight loss. And the truth is that I'm still breastfeeding. Not much anymore, not even every day, but we haven't completely weaned yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment